As building owners and managers, one of your most important responsibilities is to make sure your building is safe for all its occupants. According to NFPA and other life safety codes and standards, yearly inspections of your fire and life safety systems are mandatory and enforced by local authorities. In addition, some device types may require more frequent inspections. It is best to consult your service company for details. Having your building inspected by trained and certified inspectors will help keep your safety systems in good working order. The following tips will help you get ready for your next inspection.
1. Annual inspections should be performed on all fire and life safety systems.
2. Inspectors should be certified by a nationally recognized organization.
a. Inspectors should wear company clothing or nametags identifying them as
Professionals authorized to be in the building.
3. Your inspection reports should deliver the following information:
a. Location of every device in building
b. Whether each device passed or failed inspection and why
c. Date/time stamp when each device was inspected
d. Device inventory & warranty status
e. Indication of length of time devices have been in service
f. Verification of report results
4. Detailed inspection reports are excellent supporting documents for insurance companies or AHJs.
5. Make sure your employees or building tenants are aware of a scheduled inspection 24 hours in advance.
a. Audio/visual testing may interfere with trainings, meetings or site visits
6. Let inspectors know of any construction or remodeling, and additions or problems to the fire protection systems in your building since the last annual inspection.
R B Allen Co., Inc Offers Customized Preventive Maintenance Programs
For Your Life Safety Systems
Our preventive maintenance programs provide inspections, testing and repairs of your life safety systems at regular intervals. A well executed preventive maintenance program ensures:
- Peak performance of your system
- Minimal equipment repair interruptions
- Code & coverage specifications are met
- Testing and service is done at your convenience with minimal disruption to your facility
- End-User Training.
We coordinate with our valued partners for inspections of:
- Sprinkler Systems
- Fire Pump Tests
- Hood/Range Systems
- Extinguisher Inspections
We work with you to customize a unique Preventive Maintenance Program that is tailored to you and your facility. Let us make your job easier. Contact us today.